Tuesday, April 24, 2012

U is for Underdog



Welcome to the A to Z Blogging Challenge where I will post on a word
featuring a different letter of the alphabet each day of the month of April.
My theme for this challenge is Animals on TV and Film.



"Underdog"

THE STORY: "There's no need to fear - Underdog is here!" Underdog is the alter ego of humble and lovable Shoeshine Boy. When there is trouble afoot, Shoeshine Boy enters a phone booth and becomes the amazing superhero, Underdog!

ABOUT UNDERDOG: Underdog always speaks in rhymes and takes a "super energy pill" to boost his superpowers. "The secret compartment of my ring I fill / With an Underdog super energy pill." His love interest is Sweet Polly Purebred, a TV reporter. When she gets in a pickle, she sings, "Where oh where has my Underdog gone?" No cartoon would be complete without a mad scientist. Enter Sinister Bar Sinister. 

BONUS TRIVIA: A "Barre Sinister" is a diagonal line, running from top right to bottom left on medieval family crests, indicating the person is a bastard by birth; this was a clever inside joke typical of animation writing at the time.

6 comments:

  1. looooved underdog as a kid! got some dvds for my boys when they were little. and the movie was pretty good too.

    that trivia is a hilarious inside joke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara: This was one of my favorite toons as a kid. I'm glad your little ones are watching them, too. Pass it on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Underdog P.J.s. My brothers and I tried to put a cape on our dog, but he wouldn't cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie: LOL! How cute! Underdog is an inspiration to kids everywhere. He really is a superhero!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simon Bar Sinister! You b*****d! Who knew?

    I love Underdog! Let's give a shout out for his voice - the great Wally Cox!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craig: Wally Cox knocked it out of the park. He was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete