Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for Old Yeller


Welcome to the A to Z Blogging Challenge where I will post on a word
featuring a different letter of the alphabet each day of the month of April.
My theme for this challenge is Animals on TV and Film.



"Old Yeller"

THE STORY: It's the 1860s and Travis Coates, a farm boy, must take care of his mother and younger brother while his father is away on a cattle drive. A big "yeller" dog shows up and begins to wreak havoc. Travis isn't impressed. But before you know it, he has a new best friend.


ABOUT OLD YELLER: Old Yeller was owned by Burn Sanderson, who tracked the dog to the Coates farm and traded him to the family for a horny toad and a home-cooked meal. Old Yeller spends his time chasing critters and keeping an eye on the family. Enter a rabid wolf that takes a hunk out of Old Yeller and poor Travis must shoot his beloved dog.


Ever seen a rabid critter?

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm tearing up just thinking about the story. I adored the movie even though I always bawled. I gave this book to everyone in my 5th grade class last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never saw the movie. I did however love the scene in Stripes where Bill Murray talks about Old Yeller to get a reaction...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie: It's a sad story. I've never read the book. Classic tear jerker. Poor Ol' Yeller.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig: I haven't seen Stripes in ages and I don't remember the scene but . . .LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete