Wednesday, April 6, 2016

E is for Editing

It's April and that means the A to Z Blogging Challenge!
This year my theme is film terms.

A film editor selects and arranges raw footage into a finished film. The editor is a storyteller and artist. He or she works closely with the director to capture the director's vision for the film. For example, a fast-paced sequence with many shots will have a different effect than a long, uncut sequence. This clip from Hitchcock's North by Northwest (1959) is a wonderful example of film editing.


Cary Grant and Malcolm Atterbury in North by Northwest.

Can you think of a film that features interesting editing techniques?

2 comments:

  1. Aaaaa! I can't remember how this scene plays out! Now I'm dangling, with his life in peril. Interesting editing example, good choice!

    Of course, when I think of long takes with no editing, my mind goes to the opening scene of Rear Window (1954), classic. And the establishing shot for The Player (1992). I am intrigued not only by the lack of editing in those scenes, but also by the well-choreographed camera work.

    I admit, though, that before studying film I was rarely aware of editing techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trudy, definitely watch North by Northwest. It's Hitchcock at his best. I agree, the Rear Window opening scene was brilliant. Another of my Hitch faves.

      Delete