Saturday, March 3, 2018

Churchill ROCKS



I haven't been to the cinema in a long time, nothing lately has captured my fancy. Until "The Darkest Hour."

I actually went to see it twice! So why did I enjoy it so much? That's easy:

1. I am a WWII history buff. This movie takes me there in spades.
2. I've always admired how England stood against Hitler, the last bastion of Hope for Europe. It was exciting to see the drama played out in film (Chamberlain's weakness vs. Churchill's determination). 
3. Superb acting by entire cast, especially Gary Oldman as Churchill.
4. Breathtaking cinematography throughout.
5. Setting and costumes - perfect beauty and historical accuracy.
6. Script/Story - wonderful to see the desperation of Churchill and the pressure to negotiate with Hitler by the War Cabinet. Makes one wonder what would have happened if Churchill had conceded. I can't imagine the horrifying result!

Because of this movie, I was inspired to do some reading on one of my favorite topics - the Resistance during WWII. So many wonderful stories of Christians saving Jews during the Nazi regime. One book in particular that captured my soul is "Things We Couldn't Say" by Diet Eman. I've also enjoyed Corrie Ten Boom's "The Hiding Place," and "The Diary of Anne Frank."

Is there a movie you've seen lately that has inspired you?


2 comments:

  1. I recently watched a Chinese film "The King of Masks" that touched my heart deeply. I'm not sure I would say it "Inspired" me, meaning I don't think it spurred me into change or action, but something about it tugs on my heartstrings every time I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that film. I will check it out. I love know the stories that inspire or touch others.

      Delete