Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Kite Runner



So I finally got around to watching the famous "The Kite Runner" directed by Marc Forster and based on the novel by Khaled Hosseini.

This film blew me away and I am adding the novel to my reading list. There's something about watching a foreign film that makes you so much more attentive and involved in the experience. I am more aware of dialog, interesting camera work, lighting, setting, photography and story. With a foreign film, you need to stay focused to understand what is happening.

The first viewing was compelling and provocative as I had become enmeshed in the characters and their relationships. The molestation scene was shot in a respectful way that got the message across without crude images and dialog. It was sensitively portrayed, keeping the child actors in mind.

The second time I watched, I saw it with director's comments. Talk about enlightening. The film is a simple story, no distracting special effects. But the impact is powerful. I plan to watch it a third time and absorb everything that I can.

This is filmmaking at its best.

2 comments:

  1. I have not seen this one - but isn't it funny that the 007 producers hired Marc Forster to direct Quantum of Solace - a complicated story with lots of distracting special effects based on The Kite Runner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig, now that you mention it, there special effects if you consider the camera work in the kite flying scenes. It was so subtle and part of the story that I didn't really notice. Will be watching this again.

    ReplyDelete